Crispy hash browns, a classic Swiss/German/Austrian rosti recipe with a vegan twist.
I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. This helps me to offer you free recipes and blog posts.
Who doesn’t love potatoes? I could eat them all the time, I just have to be careful to not overeat them, with so many delicious potato dishes it’s just hard to stop because it just tastes so good. These potato rosti or Rösti, also called Kartoffelpuffer or Reibekuchen in Germany, are a traditional dish in Switzerland, Austria and Germany. Often they are being made with eggs, so after going egg free I started experimenting and quickly came up with this simple recipe, only buckwheat and water are used to bind everything together. The most difficult part is grating the potatoes, but only if you’re not using a mechanical or electrical grating tool, I use my magimix for this recipe, I use the big 4 mm hole grating disk (R/G4), it only takes seconds to grate the potatoes. Using a simple grater will take much longer and will exceed the indicated time in the recipe.
Maybe not the healthiest dish, contains a lot of fat and no other veggies than potatoes, but it is a lot healthier than any fast-food meal and sometimes you just have to satisfy your cravings. By making a home cooked meal you have the full control over what you put in there and you can also choose oils that are more healthy.
Potato Rosti (gf|vg)
- 500 g (1 lb) potatoes
- 50 ml (1 ¾ oz) water
- 30 g (3 tbsp) buckwheat flour_
- ½ tsp salt_
- 1 pinch black pepper_ optional
- ¼ tsp paprika_ optional
- oil for frying_
- Scrub the potatoes, there is no need to peel them.
- Grate the potatoes.
- In a bowl mix together the buckwheat flour, water, salt and spices.
- Then mix the grated potato with the flour mixture.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan.
- With a spoon add the potato mixture to the pan and form 3 to 4 flat patties, press them down with the spoon, if necessary.
- Fry at medium heat and flip them after a few minutes, once they are brown and crispy.
- Once they are ready, transfer to a plate lined with kitchen roll, to soak up all the extra fat.
- Serve with veggies or salad.
Enjoying my Recipes?
If you want to support me you can