100% buckwheat, gluten free and vegan
I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. This helps me to offer you free recipes and blog posts.
This simple buckwheat flour tortilla recipe needs only a few basic ingredients and is super easy to make. It works best if you have a tortilla press, but if you don’t have one you can use a rolling pin and roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper, no flour needed. This recipe uses hot water to get more binding capacity.
Buckwheat is an amazing gluten free grain, it has amazing nutritional value and is only available as whole grain, the flavor could be a bit overwhelming if you’re not used to it. Rice flour has a more neutral flavor, but buckwheat beats rice in terms of protein content, rice has a rather low protein content.
Buckwheat is completely gluten free, apart from the name, it does not have anything in common with wheat. Buckwheat is not in any way related to wheat! Traditionally it is used in Russian or Eastern European cuisine, but has been pushed aside by modern wheat.
Buckwheat Flour Tortillas.
- 240 g (8.5 oz) buckwheat flour
- 230 ml (7.78 floz) boiling water
- 40 ml (2 ⅔ tbsp) oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- Mix the flour and salt together, add the oil and boiling water, mix with a spoon.
- Then use a spatula to scrape the dough from the sides of the bowl and press against the rest of the dough, once cool enough form into a ball with your hands.
- Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes or longer.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Press the balls with a tortilla press, make sure to use two sheets of parchment paper.
- Heat up a pan and bake the tortillas on medium high heat.
- Flip the tortilla once its brown. Make sure not to burn them, if they are browning too quickly, turn down the heat a little.
- Store the baked tortillas in a damp tea towel to keep them warm and soft.
- Serve with your favorite fillings.
Enjoying my Recipes?
If you want to support me you can