Creamy and delicious dairy mashed potatoes, a classic dish not just for vegans! Suitable as side or main dish.
I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. This helps me to offer you free recipes and blog posts.
Don’t miss out on a classic dish like these creamy mashed potatoes, you don’t have to eat dairy to enjoy them. Don’t miss out on delicious food, just because you’re not eating dairy. There are always alternatives to change up a classic dish and with a few twists and changes, make it vegan or gluten free. Nutmeg is a classic ingredient in German mashed potatoes, when I was still eating dairy, I never added it to my mashed potatoes, but I thought, why not give it a try? It works well in vegan mashed potatoes to add some flavour, as there isn’t that butter flavour you need something to make it less bland and that’s where the nutmeg comes in and fills the gap, no one will even notice that the butter is missing. These authentic vegan mashed potatoes will probably fool your dairy eating guests. Vegan or not, homemade is always the best and will always beat an instant box, you will always have that authentic fresh potato taste. I personally prefer floury potatoes for this recipe. You can make this as a side dish or main dish. As a main dish I used to eat them with scrambled eggs, before going egg free. You could also mix some green peas into your mash.
Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
- Scrub the potatoes, them in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and cook them until done. This takes about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Drain the water and briefly rinse the potatoes with cold water to make peeling easier.
- Peel the potatoes, holding them with a potato skewer/fork or regular fork, they should still be warm during this process.
- Mash the peeled potatoes in the saucepan with a potato masher.
- Heat up the almond milk and add to the mashed potato, add oil and mash again until you have a smooth mash.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste, mash until well combined.
- Optional: garnish the mashed potatoes with some freshly chopped chives.
Enjoying my Recipes?
If you want to support me you can