Yummy flexible flour tortillas, I can’t believe they’re gluten free!
I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. This helps me to offer you free recipes and blog posts.
Cassava is not a grain, it is actually a starchy root vegetable, which grows in tropical rain forests and is native to South America. As it is grain free, cassava is suitable for keto or paleo diet, as well as a gluten free diet. But be aware cassava is high in FODMAPs, so if you have any issues digesting it you now why. I’ve read some articles stating, that it is low FODMAP, well it can be, but it all depends on the serving size, so only if used in tiny quantities it is low FODMAP, only a 15 g portion is low FODMAP, more than that is high FODMAP, which means you could only eat two thirds of a tortilla, so no I wouldn’t consider it low FODMAP.
Cassava flour has some amazing qualities, it can absorb a massive amount of water and has a great binding capacity, therefore it is great for gluten free and vegan/ egg free baking, but you can’t just switch out the flour in a recipe, you will need a whole new recipe. Cassava is an amazing ingredient, if you don’t have any IBS issues. As a starchy root vegetable cassava is very low in protein and also very high in calories, so only eat one meal containing cassava per day.
Cassava Flour Tortillas.
- 180 g (6.3 oz) cassava flour
- 340 ml (11.5 floz) warm water
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Mix all the ingredients together and kneed into a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Press the balls with a tortilla press, make sure to use two sheets of parchment paper.
- Heat up a pan and bake the tortillas on medium high heat.
- Flip the tortilla once its brown. Make sure not to burn them, if they are browning too quickly, turn down the heat a little.
- Store the baked tortillas in a tea towel to keep them warm. They should be very soft and elastic. They almost seemed like crepes to me.
- Serve with your favorite fillings.
Enjoying my Recipes?
If you want to support me you can